Discussion Questions for
Death Will Help You Leave Him
1. What are some of the differences among the families of different
ethnic and cultural origin in the book: Luz's Puerto Rican family, Frankie's Italian family,
Jimmy's and Bruce's Irish (in Bruce's case, half-Irish) families, and Barbara's Jewish family? What are some of the similarities?
2. Do you believe that some relationships are addictive?
What would be your definition of an addictive relationship or a relationship addiction?
How is it different from or similar to a substance addiction such as alcoholism.
3. At least three different couples in the book have troubled relationships.
Who are they? How are all these couples alike? How are they different? Why do you think the attached partner stays?
What do you think motivates the destructive partner?
4. What do you think of Barbara and Jimmy's relationship? How does it differ from the others? How might they improve it?
5. What do you think of the ending of Death Will Help You Leave Him?
The mystery is solved, but not everybody lives happily ever after. Would you have liked it to end differently, and if so, how?